ADVANCED INTERACTIVE DESIGN - FINAL PROJECT: THEMATIC INTERACTIVE WEBSITE

14/6/26 - 24/7/26 (Week 8 - Week 14)

Lim Jia Xuan 0371026

Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media

DST60804 Advanced Interactive Design

Final Project: Thematic Interactive Website


TABLE OF CONTENTS

1.0 Instructions
2.0 Process Work
3.0 Final Website Submission
4.0 Reflection


1.0 INSTRUCTIONS



2.0 PROCESS WORK

-Changes that I made after first prototype consultation-
  • Use a plain background to replace the image that I used for the background. 
  • More focus on the overall website's hierarchy.
  • More white space for the content
-What I want to do but failed to make in this project-
  • More clickable button actions (left, right button, drop-down button). I have tried and spent a lot of time figuring out why my buttons weren't functioning. 
- What I could not overcome during my progress-
  • I wanted to change the colour and apply a hover effect to the buttons, but I was confused about the different layers and timelines. When I clicked on the button, it showed Scene 1 > btn_step1, but after clicking again, it entered Tween15, which made it difficult to identify the correct place to edit the button effect.
  • When creating the button hover effect, the text appeared in the Up state but disappeared in the Over state. I was unable to manage the button states properly and make the hover effect work as expected.
  • I had difficulty changing the colour of the button text because the selected object was recognised as a Button instead of Text, which prevented me from directly accessing the text colour settings.
  • Although the Up and Over states had different colours, the hover effect still did not appear in the Test Movie. The button was recognised as clickable, but the visual change did not function properly.

-What I did to avoid those problems-
  • To avoid more buttons causing problems, I chose to apply the classic tween effect only to make my overall website smoother without buttons.
  • Only applied buttons on important sections - Navigation sections

< Home Page >


I did not use many effects on this page. I only used a normal Classic Tween for the introduction and inserted a button that links to a YouTube video.


< History Page >


A Classic Tween effect was applied to create simple animations for the content.

< Craft Page >


A Classic Tween effect was applied to make the page more engaging. Initially, I wanted to create buttons that linked to more detailed information, but the function did not work as expected, so I changed the design approach and used a Classic Tween animation instead.

< Character Page >


No animation effects were applied. The page mainly uses normal scrolling for users to view the character information. Initially, I wanted to include next and return buttons for easier navigation, but I faced some issues when creating the buttons in Adobe Animate and was unable to find a suitable solution, so I decided not to include them.



3.0 FINAL WEBSITE SUBMISSION

Final Website Netlify Link

Website walkthrough Video



Source File
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1PA_p4ggltgl_TVk7nfYHqKML97pzSPFR?usp=sharing 


4.0 REFLECTIONS

Adobe Animate was not an easy software for me to understand. At the beginning, I found it difficult to understand the different functions, timelines, layers, and symbols. Even after I understood the basic workflow, there were still many unexpected problems during the process, especially when creating buttons, applying effects, and managing animations. These small technical issues made the process more challenging and stressful for me.

This assignment was one of the most stressful projects throughout the module because I had to spend a lot of time troubleshooting and figuring out why certain functions did not work as expected. Sometimes, even when I followed the correct steps, the results were still different from what I expected, which made the process frustrating.

However, through this module, I learned that animation requires patience, problem-solving skills, and continuous practice. I gained a better understanding of how to use Adobe Animate, especially in managing timelines, creating animations, and designing interactive elements. Besides technical skills, I also learned the importance of testing, being detail-oriented, and not giving up easily when facing unexpected problems. Although this assignment was challenging, it helped me become more familiar with the animation process and improved my confidence in using digital animation tools.

Comments

Popular Posts